Sunday, April 22, 2012

Say Hello to Cool Pants...


          The hiker formerly known as Sean is now Cool Pants. Thats the trail name I was given apparently because of the plaid board shorts I hike in. I like it! Cool Pants does not like snakes though... Why'd it have to be snakes!? Id pick running into a bear over a snake any day. But it'd had to be a huge rattlesnake when I was coming down into Hot Springs, NC. It was the perfect day to see one. The mountain was hot and dry totally opposite of the Smokys when I was sliding down the mountain on ice. Its nice that the rattlesnake does give you a warning tho and he sure did. I happened to be hiking with someone that day and he thought it was a good idea to move the highly venomous thing off the trail. I can't say I thought this was smart but with a good part of a fallen tree we pushed him to the side. He didn't go easy. The guy that I was hiking with that day I had ran into the night before on top of this freakin awesome place Max Patch. Ive told a lot of people about that place and I'd say it was the highlight of my trip so far. Anyways, Toby was just out for a short overnighter or two when I told him I was planing on pulling out 20 miles to Hot Springs. He jumped on board and the next day we were on it. I hadn't hiked much with anyone else but I'm glad I met up with him. Shots out to 'California' if your reading this, 20 miles a day is tough! We had a good time and Hot Springs was a great way to end the day. The local brew was great and I even got the hook up on some moonshine! Sitting in a bar in small town NC/TN, talking to a local about moonshining was perfect. And when I say local, I'm talking about the one thats in that bar every night and the one that I witnessed eat a 2" bug with wings. " It TASTE SWEET." he said using a thick drunken southern accent. 
          Ive been on the trail for over a month now and have about 350 miles in the books. I feel great other than some blisters on my feet and hands, and a sore ankle that I haven't figured out. There was a couple of pretty nasty days this past week. The rain started one night and didn't stop for over 24 hours later. I did not have a good day. I had a pretty significant leak in my tent the night before and I was wet and cold that day. I decided to go into a hostel the next night and I'm really glad I did. Warm and dry:) but the saying goes…."No rain, no pain, no Maine". 

                                 Sunset on Max Patch
                                 Max Patch balds
                                 I really hate snakes
                                 The A.T marked down main street in Hot Springs, NC
                                 Bacon wrapped chili dog and mac n cheese in Hot Springs:)
                                 Hot Springs, NC
                                 Mountain Laurel beginning to bloom

1 comment:

  1. Keep it up Sean! You are doing awesome! Glad you had a little company on the trail! Hope you and Mike have fun together this week too! I surely hope that you got some birthday cake to celebrate your birthday!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete